Monday 25 August 2008

Historic Pix (2) Three Peaks 2005

Speaking of Geoff Booker (see "Why No Yellow Breeches" etc., below) here's a pic that's historic for me at least.

Recognise in the face the delighted look of a man who's just found a woman with a spare wheel (click on image to view full size version - and note flat rear tyre). 2005 and Geoff was coming off the second peak of Whernside - shown in the background heavily shrouded in low cloud; and had blown his rear tub (sew-up).

Happily my missus was waiting at the official service point at Ribblehead Viaduct (AKA Batty Moor), and offered my spare wheel to Geoff, who then happily waltzed off and beat me by over 45mins+.

Fortunately I didn't need said spare, or else 'words' might have been exchanged afterwards - and doubtless I would have come off worst...

However there is a serious lesson to be learnt here. Whernside is possible the easiest (and most boring) ascent of the three - but arguably the toughest descent.

The first section after the control point at the summit flatters to deceive in that it's a relatively easy single track across the flat ridge at the top (tricky only in a high wind). Then it gets very nasty. About a mile or so of increasingly slippery, downhill, off-camber limestone paving slabs with wide drainage channels every 5th or 6th slab.

Deadly and a total puncture-fest. This is almost certainly where Geoff picked up his flat.

So unless you're challenging for the lead or are a complete mentalist - best to run this section rather than try and ride it.

However, please take no notice of me. I have to say that even after all these years the sight of fellow riders and their bikes flying into the boondocks in all directions still cheers me up... (photo - Bina Briggs)

No comments: