Wednesday 18 March 2009

The Man with too many 'Cross Bikes (Part 2)

With only 6 1/2 months to go to the Three Peaks and 7 months to Iron Cross # 7 my thoughts have started to turn towards how not to get my bottom kicked in both races again. You'll probably have gathered that my long silence has because of the mental anguish suffered because of the sore arse I got in the Michaux Forest last October but I'm finally emerging from that dark place and deciding how to give myself the 'unfair advantage' that Colin Chapman (of Lotus F1 fame) was always looking for...

Training might be a start - so I've cobbled together another bitsa 'Cross bike to see me through the long miles / hours of road / off road summer / autumn training.

Here it is. An old (ex fleabay - for £30 / $45) Revell Romany 531ST touring frame*. No-name Shimano hub 32H wheels. Shimano STX 7 speed transmission (which of course now works correctly with the dreaded Powerpro MTB chainset - see below. Cinelli bars and quill stem. Suntour XC brakes with Exage levers and old Shimano bar end index changers. Bonty saddle.

Not likely that this beast will ever be raced in anger - as it's def' a bit chunky for competition, but it's a comfy ride thanks to the steel chassis and will probably be used for the audax (or 'cyclo-sportive' as the hipsters like to now call them) events that I normally ride to get the miles in at weekends...

NOTE: The cat is one of three we have here - and was just intrigued as to what his stupid dad was doing building yet another bike today. He's Cosmo and is named for the Seinfeld character Cosmo Kramer.

*If anyone knows where I can get Revell decals I'd be glad to know. Google is silent on the matter - so until then it's an Ian Briggs...

1 comment:

Iain said...

Are new parts for the bike easily available? Bottom bracket, headset etc? Or do you have to source from second-hand?

I am wondering whether there are issues due to different sizes/metrics of connecting parts.